• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Is This Really A Final Fantasy VII Trailer? We Still Don't Know Sephiroth Or No

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So something I don't understand. Granblue Fantasy Relink was in the news a lot for the constant delays, and ANN was my main source of that news. Yet when the game finally does come out, nothing is said about it. As such I only found out it was released a week after the fact.

For what it's worth, I do think the game is amazing. Maybe people don't talk about it because it turned out it was very good and that's not too interesting to talk about after the eternity of delays.

(but it seems like it's played by a very active player base, in any event)

I'm now in the very extensive post game after like 50 hours of derping around where I was trying to learn as much of the game system as I could before consulting tutorial videos.

I'm constantly reloading a save game file to produce better gacha. Peak gameplay experience. I'm a bit surprised that this is largely accessible offline without me having to spend more money.

(with the exception of gold dahlia badges, which need to be farmed by playing online with random people... but it seems like you get a better version of the things you would normally get from trading these in via the transmarvel system that guarantees top grade character equipment, unless there's something more interesting I can get with the badges that I'm not aware of since the game is using a complicated gacha economy that is pretty interesting since you can't really pay to fast track grinding and need to be efficient at some point)

Something something damage cap up level 65.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
These two comparisons aren't even remotely the same level. You really gonna tell me a game that came out only a few years ago with a remake that has mostly the same graphical detail is the same as a game that came out decades ago with pre-rendered backgrounds and Popeye-armed 3D models?

Yeah in the interest of fairness Sony had an excuse to bring the first TLOU game to the PS4 since the PS3 version came out late in the PS3’s lifespan. I have zero reasoning into why they needed to do a second remaster of the game besides making it available to PC owners via a poorly optimized port. PS5 didn’t need that and arguably didn’t need a remaster of Part 2

FinalVentCard wrote:
Microsoft's sales expectations. They didn't want a Starfield, they wanted a Skyrim that would sell Infinite copies forever. Starfield was going to be their killer app, the crown jewel of their console.

Not with the game being unable to run above 30 FPS even on Series X it was. There’s also things like Mountain Dew/Doritos/Rockstar promotion where a few (I’d have to do a shit ton of research). 1000 people could get the game essentially for free a month after the game’s release by redeeming codes from the aforementioned products along with a few lucky people being able to get Series S/X’s but those of course were far less easy to get than the game.

RickyTheRat wrote:
But yeah, more people playing games is always good. I imagine if Starfield does come to PS5 a lot of people will suddenly magically not hate it anymore now that it's on their own preferred console.

I assure you most of the criticism has little to do with that especially since one of those consoles i.e. the Switch would probably not even be able to run the game properly even by streaming. The game’s problems are a combination of Bethesda overhyping and under delivering, questionable use of mechanics (2023 and we still doing games with silent protagonists and when Fallout 4 the last major release prior to this had a voiced protagonists?) and fans oversestimating the game’s potential which or may not be because of prior titles such as Skyrim which wasn’t that spectacular of a game but I digress on that last bit,

invalidname wrote:
Of course, this is assuming that the remake trilogy isn’t some insane bait-and-switch, where theyreveal at the end of Rebirth that we’re in some totally different timeline where all bets are off. Like, if Aeris turns around and kills Sephiroth herself with one shot, then we zoom out to see this is all just a game being played diegetically within Kingdom Hearts IV.

You are just the worst type of person Razz

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:43 am; edited 3 times in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been playing the new Granblue game myself. It’s surprisingly good, and I have to imagine even better for longtime fans.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
Depending on how much of the MS stuff is true, what exactly has this merger accomplished other than giving exorbitant golden parachutes to a bunch of crooked former ActiBlizz execs? Worst case scenario, MS has basically rendered the XBox a pointless console and given said customers a bunch of paperweights. I hope that doesn't happen because we need competition in general, but it really does seem MS is going through the same mistakes that companies like Google and Amazon made with their own failed game initiatives.

As for FFVII, considering how the architects of the Compilation are behind this, the whole thing is guilty until proven innocent, especially when they keep cramming Compilation stuff in it. (Seriously, I don't know what it is, but every attempt at expanding FF settings outside the MMOs have fallen flat on their face. Just nothing but pointless goop).

Anyway, I have Mario RPG to tend to. And I voted for Breath of Fire and Darkstalkers in the CAPCOM poll because I want a more over the top CAPCOM fighter and maybe give Breath of Fire to, I dunno, ArtePiazza so we can have an old school PS1 style RPG

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
The funny thing about Xbox and it offering competition is that in the Apple v. Google lawsuit. Microsoft admitted under oath that the Xbox has never been profitable in the entirety of its existence. Any money they’ve earned is on stuff like games and game pass subscriptions,

https://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-consoles-not-profitable-microsoft-says-2021-5?amp

Tack on things like the underperformance of the Xbox One and them hardly reporting sales for Xbox Series S/X. Them putting a pillow over the console’s face at this point would be a merciful end.
Nnigdr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh.

Shigeru Chiba's Buggy voice narrating it only made it even funnier.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
Crush 40 did the song for Team Sonic Racing yea I forgot about that game too
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
- CAPCOM: I don't have much faith in these surveys, the way Capcom operates is very frustrating, I know they are mainly concentrated on AAA releases like RE and MH, but they should be investing on smaller games as well. I'd like to see Mega Man Legends remake/remaster, but I know that won't happen anytime soon;
- Sonic 3: I enjoyed the first 2 sonic movies, my only criticism is the emphasis on the human characters that aren't Eggman, though I think I can understand that animating Sonic and his friends must be pretty expensive. Also, while I find some of the nods to Sonic's meme status amusing, it's kind of distracting. As for how the third movie is gonna handle Maria's death, I'm pretty sure it's going to divide the fanbase no matter if they keep it or not;
- Microsoft: the way MS has been operating in the console business is very weird, I think it would be interesting if they release some of their titles on their competitor's systems, kinda like what SNK and Hudson-NEC used to do in the 16-bit era. I don't think they're leaving the hardware business, yet. But looking at some statistics, it seems like they're not moving that much hardware, here in Argentina is very difficult to find an Xbox, consoles are very expensive, but you can easily find a PlayStation or Switch
- FFVII Rebirth: I haven't played the remake, but I'm just wondering what S-E is going to do when they finish this trilogy. I'm not someone who grew up with the original FFVII, I didn't play the game untill my teens on the late 2000s, so I didn't understand the impact that it had but I can see why people are that invested in the story, but I still maintain that calling this a remake was kind of a misnomer, seeing how much it deviates from the orignal game.
Bonebrain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd want Breath of Fire to come back. I hesitate to think what modern Capcom would do with the game to try to modernize it...
onpufan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The game’s problems are a combination of Bethesda overhyping and under delivering, questionable use of mechanics (2023 and we still doing games with silent protagonists and when Fallout 4 the last major release prior to this had a voiced protagonists?)

There's people out there who say Fallout 4 having a voiced protagonist was a mistake and ruined their roleplaying experience and were begging Bethesda to go back to a voiceless protagonist. I suppose you can't please everyone and it just shows internet opinions and arguments mean absolutely nothing. People will complain no matter what they do so these kinds of criticisms don't mean much. Do you consider Baldur’s Gate 3 having a silent protagonist as a con?

It's probably best to take any criticism of Bethesda titles with a grain of salt, especially from modders and people who mod games. If they had their way you'd never get any fixes or updates to games at all because they always complain when Skyrim gets an update that it breaks all their mods. Modders were the ones complaining how a voiced protagonist made it harder to mod in content for the game unless they used voice mixing/AI or a copy-cat to record new lines for the protagonist. Because that's the really important thing of any game is what the modding community thinks. It's the sane vein of people who got upset when Nintendo fixes bugs and glitches in a game because it ruins the "speedrun community" like using the Shindou version of Mario 64 for the 3D All Stars collection. These communities are a drop in the bucket to the overall gaming audience and players. Treating them like some kind of important authority on a game is ridiculous.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Bonebrain wrote:
I'm not sure I'd want Breath of Fire to come back. I hesitate to think what modern Capcom would do with the game to try to modernize it...

It’s not like they’d turn it into a live service game Razz

onpufan wrote:
People will complain no matter what they do so these kinds of criticisms don't mean much. Do you consider Baldur’s Gate 3 having a silent protagonist as a con?

Yes?

I’d probably still play it but that definitely would take some of the enjoyment out of the game for me personally.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Finally dove in the FFVII:R2 demo, and it's about what I expected it would be. Really doesn't feel like the designers have... any clear vision for what kind of game they want to make, so many little things feel arbitrary. But I guess that's to be expected from Square-Enix.

Though I am kinda-sorta impressed they found someone who really loves piano to design their piano-playing minigame... personally, I think someone who's really good at designing rhythm games would've been a wiser choice, but if they'd gone that route we'd be missing out on one of the most impressively bad music games I've ever seen (and as someone who plays SEGA games, I've seen a lot of 'em).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I’d probably still play it but that definitely would take some of the enjoyment out of the game for me personally.

BG3 is in kind of a weird spot, because you can play as one of the Origin Characters, who are *all* fully voiced -- when used as companions. When you play as them, I think there's a bunch of incidental audio barks they get while walking around, but the dialog is all non-voiced.

I do believe there's a mod in-progress (possibly already out) that integrates the voice acting from the Origins-as-Companions playthroughs to the Origins-as-Players playthroughs, so that may be worth looking into (if you're playing on PC).
Bonebrain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:44 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I could see something like the not-Dino Crisis live-service game that made everyone think it's one game but it's another one. But does Capcom even make RPGs anymore? I can imagine them turning it into an action game or something at the very least.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:30 am Reply with quote
Bonebrain wrote:
But does Capcom even make RPGs anymore? I can imagine them turning it into an action game or something at the very least.

I mean, Dragon's Dogma 2 is coming out in a month or two and is one of the most-anticipated RPGs of 2024.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 am Reply with quote
Bonebrain wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I could see something like the not-Dino Crisis live-service game that made everyone think it's one game but it's another one. But does Capcom even make RPGs anymore? I can imagine them turning it into an action game or something at the very least.

I'm pretty sure BadNewBlues was making a coy reference to Breath of Fire 6, which only came out in Japan in early 2016 & was pretty much a free-to-play, live service online RPG that wound up getting completely shut down in late 2017. Despite even bringing back Kappei Yamaguchi & Kyoko Hikami to voice Ryu & Nina, just as they had done for BoF's III, IV, & V, the game was summarily trashed critically in Japan & was dead after less than two whole years in service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3